Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Big Decision...or is it?

As a theological college student, I am often asked questions such as: What do you hope to do after college? Are you going to be a priest/minister/pastor etc? Why did you decide to go to college? Regarding the first 2 questions, I never really thought far enough ahead about "vocation" after college. Concerning the latter, my decision was based on a struggle: Am I reading and applying Scripture appropriately and faithfully? I had high view of Scripture as the authoritative Word of God, but the problem was with the 'great divide' - what did it mean to the original audience and what does it mean now?

I have more to say on this topic later, but firstly some questions:

1. As a Christian have you ever thought about going to theological college, why or why not?

2. If you are studying at college, or have previously, what was it that prompted you to do so?

4 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

hey, you have a blog! Congrats! Te he, I've had one for a while now. Did you guys get my email?

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David, are you studying at Trinity? I'm thinking about doing theol studies in the future (currently finishing undergrad degree), mainly because I've been challenged to rethink my priorities in life and pursue kingdom work over secular pursuits, so training for Word ministry seems like the wisest choice given the abilities God has given me (as opposed to seeking to serve God in a secular occupation).

Like yourself I don't know about 'vocation' after college but people keep telling me to work it out as what I'll get out of college will depend on what type of ministry I'm gearing towards after... What do you think?

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Mully said...

Thanks for your response Jon, Yes I am at Trinity Theo. College. This is my final year at college and I am thinking about what to do afterwards. Sure you could 'plan ahead' for vocational ministry and I know some who have had a clear idea of what they wanted to do and are now doing it. Yet I think it is important to be flexible as God may have something different in store as to what you plan. The advantage of college is that you set aside a chunk of time (perhaps 3 years) and in that time you're learning an appropriate handling of Scripture and its importance in life and ministry. When college finishes it does not mean that learning ends though. You're also encouraged to get involved in your church or other ministry areas in order to develop and refine skills whilst implementing what you're learning. So you can certainly plan for something before you go to college or you can plan something during college. I may be a school teacher, pastor, perhaps even a police officer. But in the end, whether I pursue the secular workforce or 'vocational' ministry (or some other) my aim is to make the most of every opportunity to preach/teach/speak the gospel and see people come to a maturity in Christ (Col 1:28; 1 Pet 3:15). I hope this is encouraging. Hope we can dialogue more in relationto this topic (and others!)

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger backyardmissionary said...

hey dave - look forward to reading your thoughts here. i've been at it over 3 years now and find blogging a great way to theologise in an open forum and learn a heap thru it.

enjoy the ride!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home