Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Whose the minister around here?

It's 1 am and I am wide-eyed and bushy tailed! I have been thinking recently about life after college, mainly regarding vocation. I finish my theological studies at the end of this year after four years; however, I have not made a decision on what to do after college. In many ways I would like to go back out into the secular workforce, yet I feel a sense of guilt for such a consideration. I suppose this guilt comes from a general assumption that training at theo college means one will end up in full-time 'vocational' ministry. Such an assumption may be true in many cases, yet I really believe that all Christians ought to understand that they, in fact, are in full-time ministry! Too often people think they don't have this or that 'gift' and therefore it is left up to those who are 'gifted' &/or trained in that area. But the very term 'gift' is, I believe, highly abused in Christian circles. Natural talent is often confused for 'spiritual gift', for example someone may be great at public speaker, but does that make them a great preacher of the Word? Or someone may be a musical talent, but does their music/singing in the church service edify their fellow believers? Perhaps we ought to think how we can glorify God and serve others to the best of our capability rather than passing it off to someone with the 'gift'! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that people aren't gifted in particular areas, of course they are. What I am saying however is that Christians shouldn't neglect a need in the church simply because they don't have the gift.
Anyway, where am I? I still seek the Lord's guidance through prayer and petition where He would have me work - however I understand that wherever I am/go there are plenty of gospel opportunities and afterall we are full-time ministers!!

What do you think?

4 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

I think you should do whatever the Lord gives you to do. It doesn't matter whether that's paid employment in the secular world or work within a church, if we've got our mind set on the Lord's work it's still ministry.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Dave
I'm a Christian and I live in Perth also. I stumbled across your blog so I thought I'd comment. You've raised some interesting questions about gifts and involvement in church and I've been thinking about this for a while. Often the only way to know if you're gifted in a particular area is to get involved in lots of stuff anyway. My question is about people who have particularly fear or dislike of serving in certain ministries yet the church has a great need in that area. Eg. some people have a fear of speaking in front of an audience yet the church really needs service leaders. Those people don't want to NOT serve yet they feel totally incompetent and afraid in that area. Therefore should the church leaders be encouraging those people to overcome their fear so they can fill the roster or should they help those people find another area in which they feel more able to serve in?
Anyway, just a thought.
Sarah

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

Hi Dave, can you send me a link to Heidi's blog? Ta.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Mully said...

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your comment; my apologies for such a late reply!
I think it really depends on what the need in the church is. There are certain areas that involve greater responsibility, such as preaching. Preaching the Word of God is significant and we shouldn't just let anybody do it (1 Cor 3:10-17;1 Tim 5:17; 2 Tim 2:2, 15; cf. also 1 Tim 3:1-12 {concerning the position of elders and deacons}). However, we should not prevent someone from preaching without discussing the significance of this area and giving them plenty of good guidance. Guidance, for any ministry area in the church, is important - if we need people to serve than we need to show them how and why to serve (Jn 13:1-17, esp v.15) and offering plenty of encouragement to do so. Furthermore, we should not stop someone just because they 'failed' once or twice - but give them support and offer accountability and training (the person serving should be willing to be critiqued fairly though). Yet if they aren't serving appropriately in that particular area, after support and training, it is perhaps time that they try another area.

So when there is a need and people are apprehensive to fill the need there must be guidance and encouragement. We must show why any ministry is important and how it is done (1 Cor 12 - 14).

I hope this gives some clarity to your question. Feel free to comment and question anytime - I will do my best to help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home